License application update from BM, EEP, and ownership reports filed w FCC per Legal Counsel We filed early, awaiting word from the lawyers! Hard nips Concert (Izzy) 1) Security update Applied for money, awaiting results, need board members to help staff the event 2) Promos (Hanna) 3) Poster on website/Facebook and Wesleying next week (Danielle) 4) Flyering campus (trainees? Izzy/Eliza reach out) Mid-Wes (Mary) - Do we want them to table the event for us? – No thank you, but why not something else – Is it as simple as it sounds?????? – Is it a waste of their time? – Answer is no WesDEF program (Ben?) - happening next week on Wednesday, 11/9 at 5:30pm in 41 Wyllys, room 112. Any delegates? – Mary might go – we have something to offer as a service to the town IBS East coast 1 day (Botson) conference is Nov 16. Anyone want to go rep? (Virgil) Training (Eliza/Hannah updates) It’s been going well, thanks everyone!!! Planning for Proctoring the Practical Exam Problem with getting service hours, tell them to come in—their is plenty to do! Any discipline issues/no-shows? EVERYONE IS PERFECT Absences from staff meeting are being assessed MYRP (Eliza) 1) Disciplinary follow-up….how’d it go? - well its going well – working on retraining 2) Anyone interested in replacing Eliza? Mary will post/email staff about the elections to clarify details 75th anniversary Notes from the meeting will be published LISTSERV is coming email@example.com it went well Pledge promos contest: 1) Review and pick a winner 2) Ben gives a production demo
Studio etiquette/default Reminders
- Late night please turn down studio monitors and head phones.
- Do not let hp cords hit the floor. They are long and get caught in wheels, tripped over and eventually within 1 year broken. We go through 5-10 of these per year.
- Be aware, mindful and friendly with all others working at WESU. Big diverse groups that work well together let’s keep it that way by not stepping on each other’s toes.
- Be mindful especially of the person who is on air
- No FSRN at 6pm, for now Feature Story news in its place.
Training – Tips and Tricks (Eliza)
- Annual T&T is coming up. Nov. 17th @ 5pm in PAC001
- Looking for DJs for that panel
- Email eliza—firstname.lastname@example.org, an email is coming
- Look out for those interns!—remember only two at once, the studio experience is key!
- Be mindful of the 1/3/5 and 2/4 schedules
Announce Hard Nips (Izzy, where when, staffing, public status? Promos?)
- Please play the Promo
- Nov 16th @ Eclectic: Hard Nips and open to the Public/Free
CMJ Report from MDs? (Just a quick word would be awesome)
- David Whitney, Reta and Ethan all went to the MusicMarathon
- Working on the Recap for the blog, look out for that
December meeting date change! To Dec 8 - same place and time
pivotal meeting, please come!
let us know, students especially, if you can’t come
Open House went great – Thanks to Rob and Red and Black for the dangerous cookie and hot beverage station. Was well attended by alumni, wes faculty, and current and prospective staff family! We even sold some merchandise!
Record Fair – Success! Congrats and thanks to Izzy, and the volunteer staff with special props to Nina Gurak, and Lee Berman for the ridiculous amount of work they both put in!
Twitter – Danielle 2 feeds: schedule and general… more info?
- should be ready for the pledge drive
Spring elections for Public Affairs and Personnel next meeting 12/8
Email the board, let us know if you want to run!
Pledge drive - As a result of the Wesleyan academic calendar and success of our spring pledge drive we are changing the way we conduct our Fall Winter Pledge drive at WESU.
Make sure you do your due diligence when it comes to finding replacements for your show. With the board and potential fill-ins.
MYRP openingsI Needs some love, email email@example.com if you are interested in becoming a part of this unique thing we do.
Any other station questions comments concerns before we get into Pledge drive and 75th anniversary plans?
CC says good job
Cosmic updates and we are working on studio B
More from Ben on Pledge Drive:
Basically we got rid of the one week heavy handed traditional drive in favor of a longer, less frantic, and more strategic approach, that we ease into in November, continuing into December (if need be).
We are calling this our “Kinder gentler” approach to fundraising, in contrast to the typical strong handed tactic of the condensed one week telethon model we have used since we started a new model last spring. **Please do not use the term “silent pledge drive” we toyed with last spring**
Despite the inherent risk, that drive was out most successful fundraising effort yet. This isn’t to say we cannot or shouldn’t solicit pledges over the air. Please do! We encourage you to get the pledges by any means necessary. We’ve even added some incentives to encourage you to be successful.
This year, if you raise: $100 - you get a WESU T-Shirt, If you raise $200 -you get a Hoody and…
The person/show who raise the most donations will get a combo pack and another special prize, TBA.
**Make sure you advise all of your donors to include your name/show name in the appropriate field when making a donation!
New online donation system is up and running (As of this week): most of you probably didn’t notice but we had no live donation link over the summer. This is more streamlined and is more like a shopping cart than a form/survey we have used in the past. ACTEVA IS A BAD BAD COMPANY !!! STAY AWAY
The campaign begins with a mass mailing going out this week to nearly 700 past donors. To be followed up by:
- Recorded Promotions: We are getting rid of the majority of old promos and are working on a whole new batch that clearly conveys the new approach. The board has already created a new batch that should be available this week. Hanna can provide details on when and where you can find them? For now we ask that you play at least one of them during each hour of your program. As we continue we will increase frequency with a goal of unrolling a new batch of promos throughout the campaign rather than all at once to be repeated throughout the effort.
- Social networking will continue to be an important way for us to connect with our listeners and will be utilized through duration of campaign for updates and special incentives.
- Email campaign to past donors, guests, ad ticket winners – thanks to Ian Work Study
- Your own creative efforts, including on and off air approaches. We will have packets available at our December meeting similar to our spring drive. These will have some form of a station update, pledge pitch, and include pledge forms for you to put in the hands of the friends, family and other people in your community who value your experience at WESU. This was very successful last spring!
- WE NEED MATCHING DONORS!! They make a huge difference. Employers, family businesses, and family trusts or just deep pockets… Please look into this. Last year we got donations from Pfizer, Philips, and some generous family members and alumni, to the tune of $500 to $2,250 (when an alumni parent said they would cover half of the remaining $4,500 during the last week.
Our goal this Fall will be to Raise $13,000 (last fall we aimed for $10K and got $12K). I am hopeful and think it is possible that the return will be more like our Spring success of $15K!
Questions ? Concerns comments?
Back to Mary
- Committee Meeting to follow this one. Please join us. We have met once and have some great ideas for our campaign to celebrate the legacy of WESU and give something back to the community.
- New T-shirt design has been selected and is being refined – reveal later this week?
- Ben will provide an overall update on where things are currently at.
Over to Ben – or Mary, if you want to handle this or part of it:
We are still honing in on our branding but so far, the ambitious campaign includes live events, public exhibits and displays. This is in addition to our own promotions, new 75th anniversary gear for sale, and on air coverage.
I encourage each of you to consider how you can join us in this effort. I myself am working on a program concept, featuring people, bands, and occurrences from WESU’s past. Ideally this could create content for our film project. More on that later…
In addition to all of this WESU will commemorate this milestone by giving back to the community by using airtime to spotlight nonprofit and community organizations in our listening area throughout the entire year.
Hopefully all of this will result in strengthening our community connections, provide some great public relations opportunities for us, and help us develop stronger community support.
This campaign will last throughout the entire calendar year, which is quickly approaching. Setting a goal of raising an additional $25-$30K to upgrade our studios and kick off a film project about the history of WESU. Studio upgrades: New Mixing consoles for the studios ($14K), backup power ($11K).
Events: A series of concerts, and other live events at various venues reaching out to the listening communities we serve most directly. Caribbean, Gospel, Folk, Oldies, indie rock, Local artists, hip hop, and EDM. We should work on events for our public affairs listeners as well. Perhaps some can be coupled with music, film, or other events.
The 75th Anniversary should be fun and rewarding but will require the help of many to pull off.
So far we have a great team. Please feel free to stick around for the 2nd half of the meeting to participate!
There is no WESU FM Board meeting this week due to fall break. The Board will meet again next week. Notes once again will be published in a more timely fashion, thank you for you patience.
WESU Board agenda
New Lock for Board Room and removed key slot for Studio C (now p-safe can’t lock it!)
Rec Fair recap and thanks
– Big props to Izzy YAYYYYYYYY, LB, NG and the rest of our volunteers.
-Down nearly $300, 150 why?
- Perhaps parking, promotions?
- look ahead for sporting conflicts
- thank you to Nina
Dannielle will get a poster coming, actually Izzy will, function over form
- Alisa says how long is it
- Nov. 16th 10-2am, for security we will ask
Fall Break Programming – students leaving campus are required to get coverage (Hannah)
WSHU program changes coming: Switching to “edgier afternoon show” in response to concerns about repeating hour of programming. This helps us offer different programming from WNPR – A good thing. Keeping Sci Friday. (Daniel)
- Here & Now not Hear & Now, will show on program guide once its made
Training? (Eliza and Hannah updates)
- Props to Eliza
- Going well—good attendance, 15 on Thursday, 35 on Sunday
- Will catch people up
- Creating a checklist for interning on shows
- Emailing people who missed the meeting
- MK did service hours needs to record extra show still
- KB missed her show, was very apologetic, board vote an extra service hour
- Video Mixtape, hadn’t heard back, missed her show, no coverage was found
- Daniel Pope, board member, missed his show. Can’t understand calendars. Feels bad. The board issues a stern warning through Hannah
Board meeting next week?
- Virgil will finish program guide during next weeks board meeting
Ben M out tomorrow for root canal and at Broadcasters event on Thursday
Pledge drive – if we are going for November we need to start working on our promos/t-Shirt design – haven’t yet used 80’s design… mailing list… and email list
Program guide? What’s up? (Virgil)
pledge drive/fundraising committee: for Fall/Winter pledge drive – gotta get on this if we are to start in November!!
- Meeting on 10/23 4:16pm of Mary and Ben to talk about the pledge drive everyone is invited
- EVERY board member must make promos for a competition
A) The Google Doc needs to be updated to reflect what was proposed to SBC via their new budget request form.
B) In order to start spending, BM would like a spreadsheet to keep track of expenses. Perhaps even the SBC request form (output) would be sufficient.
-Need Stream Rewind promo
-removing old shows on website (Nate)
T-shirt design due next friday and a 75th logo as well, focusing on the fall design
Announce open board positions for the spring
Work on our promos for shows and pledge drive
— • < WESU • FM > • —
— • < Board • Minutes > • —
— • < 10•01•13 > • —
75th Anniversary Taskforce today at 6:15!
college radio day (Mary) it’s today. Oh well, it’s always college radio day here at WESU! They wanted us to stream “mysterious artist” they only announced today
— never mind, didn’t happen, oh well: “who are they?”
Training (Eliza)- Schedule? Email about Sunday? Wesleying post? Who is leading (did Eliza email staff?)
— Eliza needs help on Sundays and Thursdays, will email all staff
— Hannah is doing sundays, but still need helper teachers
— Perhaps earlier testing dates
— Check with Eliza for the final details
— Ending with Tips n Trick on the 11/17th—following will be a written test
— Pope will make a Wesleying post
Promos (Hanna)– we still need them!
— Promos have gone missing! BM will help find them
— People are coming in
— Board members should be doing it
— Sunday meeting we will sternly/push for more promos—a directive!
— Forward PSAs to Hanna
Budget - update from (Virgil) (he met with SBC yesterday)
— Money came in! Fully Funded!
Program – Virgil is working on program guide
— Coming soon, will be sent out with
Disciplinary follow-ups (Eliza) [[MK]]
— Not really responding, we are looking for some feed back
— What is her punishment? Suspension?
— Removal from program?
— What is her peace offering, coming here and saying sorry and doing service hours?
— Eliza will go face-to-face
— JB just put on automation, see below for details on coverage
— no response
— but it is and isn’t just his problem
— CM will be looking if she does her task
Promotions (Danielle): Twitter action?
—Two responses so far
Fall Events? (Izzy) Hard Nips? Where when? Faith opening?
—Hard Nips is coming!
— concert in the dining room of Eclectic is a possibility
— Faith Harding opening
— Community members?
— Talk to Cathy about this, Center for Community Partnerships
— Mary) WESU coprogram for Earth House show with Earth House show Oct. 23
— Will look into this… Izzy will
— Story telling in the spring izzy rode
Record Fair? (Izzy) Needs? Staffing – DJ schedule? ben m has scheduled a sound tech.
— Staffing is going well, filling spots this Sunday
— Wesleyan flyering happening soon
— Wesleying post happening soon
— SALD funding next week…
— No cupcakes, talking to Rob soon
— Waiting on confirmation of David Whitney (3rd delegate), sending emails—no responses yet
— Email about badges, will be forwarded
CT Humanities: (Ben)
— Was invited over!
— Went well, reaching about ‘cause we’re neighbors
— Interest in the history of CT
— become underwriters to promote local happenings they produce
— perhaps create today in CT history type of content
— even fund us getting access to some other programs not available in the area
— (writers almanac, for example).
— Gwrant Money! super awesome, they seem great
FCC license renewal process (Ben)– in process BM can offer insight
— New licensure cycle, its a 7 year cycle
— our legal council is on it, but we have been running the announcements
— its pretty chill so far no snags
absence/automation policy – clear up in code for training manual
— Hanna will post staff list
— Eliza has an updated list on google drive
— Really exchange contact with your show neighbors
— First move is to contact these people
— Emphasize this in training, that automation is not a replacement
— Emphasize recording evergreen shows, not great but it is a better last resort
— Maybe establish how many absences is okay, a threshold?
— With or without a sub
— OR With or without proper procedure
— Or a mandatory minimum attendance? 50 % 70% 90% 100%
— We will keep working on this.
@wesu emails / @gmail (Nate) where are we at with this?
— working on it
Bumper CD/playlist? (Ben) New idea – to play between shows as buffer and promotional tool – would help with promotions for rec fair, special events, underwriting announcements, etc…
— not a new idea in radio, but would really help us out
— transition playlist—but more formal!
— more orchestrated transistions
— help us promote better and make better transitions
— something to think about
— really easy to make it a cd and a playlist for both use cases
— step towards automated shows between breaks
— increasing automation use
Note to staff on alternating schedule…(Ben) Necessary??
Sunday staff meeting (Mary)
— any announcements people want to make?
— no ben m, many family responsibilities
WESU Board of Director’s Agenda for 10/8/13
Board Party recap
75th Anniversary Meeting Recap (Mary)
-Bryan’s idea: 75 years of …. public affairs
…. alternative music
…. community involvement (or “community outreach”)
*public affairs shows highlight the importance of free form in terms of their show content
*alternative radio: Top 75 lists of different genres/types from staff member/polls of public
*community involvement: 5 minute spotlight on community non-profits (one per week)
-Leith: Olin exhibit plus online exhibit; talk at WESeminar; article in Wesleyan magazine; rewriting updated history
article in Wesleyan magazine and other ideas?
Leith is killing it!
each public affairs show highlighting importance of free form radio in 30 or 60 minute format; highlight something we have free form radio to be thankful for
top 75 songs in x category? something to think about; highlight or play through someone’s show
community non-profit spotlight; mary will start reaching out to non-profits
bryan is planning a campaign in his mind; does his proposal make sense? ben says no. but meeting with bryan clarified this.
big concerts? at crowell? could raise money?
danielle: a dance-a-thon? with djs? at the jump and jive? restaurant deals? mary will send out doodle for next task force meeting
-Ben: fundraising concerts; gala?: start documentary
fundraising concerts at crowell? using 75th as opportunity to start a $$ campaign?
-have people to train with you? How was Sunday’s meeting?
62 people came! more than at the staff meeting
trainings will begin this thursday! yay!
eliza needs people to train with her; would be great to have somebody training with her and hannah each time; want to have 1/2 in studio, 1/2 in main room for some sessions
issues with having someone in the studio at 7pm? what about athletes? need to reserve studio B to avoid production conflicts etc; need to coordinate with argus news radio (aaron has a concussion!)
-can’t type into it!!
-people should sign up
-update the list of shows that are hosting interns
-Bill Denert (BD) missed meeting because he was out of town
-others….who gave excuses?? (Krystal, Alex, ?)
Derick Morris called “has to work”, Michael Benson emailed, Stacey Zackin was on air.
-anything else? Monika Kornis meeting yesterday?
Monica – need to let program director know; she lied and said that she asked hanna b to cover her but this did not happen!
replacement policy: need to pre-record a show if you can’t find a replacement? need to make sure there is a real consequence
consequence should be consideration for the following semester?
just b/c pre-record exists, doesn’t mean she is there to use that at her discretion
mary’s motion: 2 extra service hours, pre-record an evergreen show, and has to attend record fair; motion passes!
crystal gail o’neil: will be gone this weekend; did not show up to meeting; does hosting count as service hours, she asked (yes, it does); she needs to make her alternating weeks calendar
Stream Rewind Issues (Daniel, Mary)
Now Playing/on air confusion?
-some old shows are still on streamrewind; how to remove? ben will contact andrew
-nate: look in tech director’s manual and get to the bottom of it? need to connect new shows with their dj account
-dan: change the alternating schedule for his show;
??? just got static IP today from verizon via ITS now we can migrate streamrewind to new Verizon internet.
Email updates (Nate)
-how does it work?
Program – guide ready?
VIRGIL – mary will e-mail him; the guide is overdue
PLEDGE DRIVE DATES we need them.
-second monday following thanksgiving break; our break ends on 12/2; staff meeting on 12/8; pledge drive on 12/9? dates decided on: 12/9-12/15; even though university housing would close
how to deal with students’ exams schedule: will be decided during november meeting; use model for spring pledge drive? give out packets and encouraging the use of social networking? need to re-brand? silent pledge drive? dates become less of an issue if we shift the model of the drive
should phone in be spring model given the 75th?
ben will go back with the drawing board for this; rick says “sounds good”; will mean a whole slew of new pledge pitches
well underway! thanks danielle! 3 people did it for service hours
absence/automation policy revisted - clear up in code for training manual
-can update staff list on wall in studio (Hanna)
-updated google staff doc thanks to Eliza
-can get a service hour from recorded evergreen shows
- also need to make sure the “note on automation” revised
*attend 75 % of shows, must email staff
*don’t follow procedure in finding a host
*there’s a procedure for dealing with people who abandon their show
*establishing a mandatory amount of time out of show
*added to DJ contract
Promotions (Danielle): Twitter action? How’s it going?
CCP Guest Blogging about Record Fair….
Fall Events? (Izzy)
-Hard Nips confirmed? Money? Security (so it can be open to the public)?
Izzy will deal with contacting town and gown committee
-Updates on coprograming Earth House show Oct. 23?
Waiting on response from sam long
Record Fair? (Izzy)
-Needs? Staffing (Friday night loading Lee’s Van?)– DJ schedule?
need a car for the strike down at 4pm on saturday
all is going smoothly otherwise – yay!
need djs; a vinyl only event; djs ben, bill denert, jack singer, scott zimmer. what about lee berman? jason delani? somebody oberman?
need to hear back from SALD funding
need another round of flyering – monica kornis?
danielle – need to get a wesleying post for thursday?
izzy already did a facebook hype up!
middletown eye and the middletown patch (izzy did the patch)
-Funding? Flyering? Need to do downtown again – heard they are were removed from kiosks (USE SMALL FLYERS)
Other promotions? Wesleying, FB
Homecoming/open house? Food from Rob DeRosa
rob de rosa will donate! thanks rob!
CMJ (Ethan/Reta) – all set. David Whitney was confirmed today.
Argus News Radio (Daniel): Harper on board? Aaron at training?
harper hasn’t responded yet; dan will follow up
hanna talked to harper, and she seemed into it
aaron will be trained as full staff member by the spring
Board Notes from 9/3
General Manager: Ben
Vice President: Virgil
Program Manager: Rick
Public Affairs: Daniel
Music Director: Ethan and Reta
Public Relations: Danielle
Events Coordinator: Isabelle
Meetings will be held Tuesday at 5pm
Next year is our 75th year, start brainstorming ideas!
- Start Brainstorming!
- Eliza: Try and listen to all of the shows, and getting to know all of the staff members
- Hannah: Peer review program?
- Danielle: Up our PR get the word out, 75th!
- Isabelle: Big event, 75th!
Board hours (4-6pm except when noted)
- Monday: Virgil & Isabelle
- Tuesday: Mary & Daniel (3-5pm)
- Wednesday: Hanna & Danielle
- Thursday: Reta, Ethan & Nate
- Friday: Eliza (2-4pm) & Hannah
- Check messages on phone board AND studio
- Check email, everyone should chip in!
- Empty trash/recycling
- Download Free Speech Radio News
- go online to soundcloud.com/fsrn or fsrn.org posted by 5pm
- make sure it is today’s broadcast
- right-click, save link as, use correct location, name as “FSRN~0″ and do replace
- make sure it downloads completely
- check the logs in studio a
- check the inconsistencies so we can be on top of what’s happening in the studio
- let eliza know about the logs
- check the Facebook
- check on the studio reservation boards
- email board with staff meeting items
- Fall Program Starts 9/9 @ 4pm (remind in email too)
- program done! thanks hannah!
- program guide is being designed, should be at printer soon
- need to get online program @ spinitron/streamrewind updates by 9/9:
- who will update?:
- stream/rewind needs weekly maintenance
- nate will do it!
- spinitron policed by MDs
- Hannah will send final updates of program, email vote TONIGHT, then email the staff
Update website contact info
- Virgil will
- will also update board cellphones
- Year will be over before you know it
- in order to accomplish all on our plate, we need to work efficiently and use our (staff) resources wisely.
- share your goals!
- Read your job description get familiar with your responsibilities.
- make an appt with Ben, learn about the station/your position, encouraged
Work study position (may help with some board hrs stuff)
- administrative tasks!
- automated spinitron entry!
- pledge processing!
- 2 candidates – One clearly had more admin experience on resume.
- ben spoke with both, recommends the more experienced one, both are good candidates
- must still do service hours in addition to paid work
delegate, get your work done
- staff Recruitment?
- student activities fair
- next friday
- open house is in program
- Record fair 10/12/13
- wheels are beginning to turn
- Update online history
- 75th anniversary (starts 2nd semester thru end of 2014, map out timeline)
- logo competition
- Get Film project rolling, for our 81st anniversary
- concerts, gala event, Press?
- our college radio legacy!
Board Notes from 9/10
Board Notes from 9/17
- Attendance Problems
- Will get a task, calendaring
- Will get a task, an hour shelving
- TM just late
- VBGT will watch
- MK no email, no response so far
- Suspension of one week
- Responsible for finding a replacement
start in two weeks, 0ctober 6th
Ping will email, come up with cirriculum
Facebook post, no ads
- Rec fair poster is designed now we need to get it up and around both physically and online. Also need recorded promos with the same quickness!!
- who will copy posters? (Izzy)
- who will send them to special Middletown guy?
- who will email asking for volunteers to poster?
- who will put them up online? (Danielle…..FB post/webpage)
- who will record promos? (Hanna)
- Nov. 1–homecoming event, Mary will order cupcakes
- Promos for shows – we still need them!
- send a staff reminder?
- voted to make it a service hour, none opposed, passed!
- Budget planning to get request together to present for Monday 9/30 if not too late. Otherwise next Monday (Virgil)
- who needs to go to the SBC? What time?
- will sign up for next week
- 75th advertising
- will send out recruitment email
- Shirt Design
- Danielle will take the lead!
- Fall design?
- Any issues? Any update on Program? If no word from Brenna we need to go to plan B.
- Hannah will text Brenna
- need temp staff status – to produce the show (Dan update on this)
- they need our help, come into our fold
- will go through training
- precedent for associate status
- Board reluctantly approves unanimously
- Adding Harper to the list
- Not 75th Anniversary until 2014 Ben M removed posts on FB saying we are currently in our 75th year.
- Promotions: need a web and FB post about new season schedule. (Danielle)
- Middletown Day
- Change studio code?
- Nate and ben will look into it
- College Radio Day is 10/1/13 – how to participate? or not?
- CMJ – We get an additional (3rd) pass who’s going?
- absence/automation policy – clear up in code
- music money from last year
- $70 at Redscroll for the taking! MD field trip?
- @wesu emails – let BM know if you want them forwarded – should we create gmail accounts for all? Can they be sent from Gmail to look like our @wesufm.org accounts?
- Nate is on it
- CT Food not bombs leader to campus? Via mike DeRosa
Board Notes from 9/24 by DPOPE
- Download FSRN
- Shout-outs! Thank you everyone for doing board hour duties!!
- Make sure you’re keeping up with things we discussed at meetings!
- Will follow up specifically via email
- No Virgil today he is at SBC repping WESU for preliminary meeting. Someone else needs to take notes.
- Thanks Daniel!
- Record fair promo is great – thanks to Hanna- Ben M converted it to mp3 (was Wav) and saved to proper promo locations in air studio and for Rick. To do: She should send an all staff email asking every DJ to play the promo during every show through the event.
- Whey Station coming!!
- Flyer Need to print flyers and get them around campus, downtown, and mail record fair mailing list
- Isabelle: start flyer-ing? Enlist flyer-ers (service hours!)
- Downtown Flyerman!
- Other Record Fair stuff:
- Need more volunteers. Isabelle will follow up. Also, DJs.
- Anyone can email Izzy to volunteer
- Program guide design thanks Virgil for picking up slack. He and Ben M are working details outs
- Any other programming issues? Recent no shows JB and MK – both sent all staff emails less than 24 hrs in advance… can we follow up with them?
- MK has been emailed/warned by Eliza with details on procedure.
- She then sent all-staff email to find fill-in for show she was suspended for
- Maybe have her come in and explain? Not obligatory, assess situation next week
- JB has been emailed.
- Also, get rid of Al Jazeera promos and other old show promos.
- FREE SPEECH NEWS RADIO
- Money issues. May pick up other Pacifica show.
- Perhaps a podcast show??
- CMJ who’s the 3rd person that is going? Send info to Ben so he can register
- Possibly DW. Perhaps we should have emailed all staff… but we need to register soon, and Ben M. seems on board
- Ben M had great conversation with Call from Howard Williams Owner of WES AM from 1946-1948 (AM predecessor to WESU). Howard is going to mail us a written narrative of WES during that period.
- Training – Eliza proposed schedule?
- -also, updated section on automation?
- No schedule yet, because of issues with scheduling meetings.
- But WILL START Sunday, Oct. 6th
- Break for Fall Break (Sunday 20th wouldn’t happen, otherwise weekly)
- Two options? Option for Thursday as well? (6-7pm?)
- Training people to use the phone coupler?
- Automation discrepancy in training manual online?
- Emails, forwarding them to Wesleyan email?
- General idea: set up WESU gmails, have @wesufm.org, but CAN have them routed to your other email
- Other discipline issues/updates? -did we follow up with everyone from last week?
- Never got a response from Crystal, Hibiki. It was recent, so we will give them a bit more time.
- People getting back to Eliza about missing WESU board meeting.
- college radio day 10/1/13 – any more info on this? Mary registered us, will email staff/Hanna/Rick if/when they send “College Radio Day sweepers and IDs”
Did anyone have a food not bombs contact that might want to bring speaker to Wesleyan? (follow up from last week)
- Supposedly will cause increased listenership!
- Is there a promo?
- Food Not Bombs—perhaps one Josh Krugman can help to spearhead this efforts
- Argus News Radio problem (Daniel)
- -Did someone let Aaron know of the conditions we voted on last week?
- Perhaps HF? She has done Argus News Radio.
- HF’s involvement at the station? (is posting playlists to Tumblr against station rules….also most productive way for her to get involved in the station?)
- -ARGUS NEWS RADIO INSTEAD????
- She has done it before. CONTACT HF? (Daniel)
- Some stragglers not logging Spinitron?
- Perhaps get some volunteers, logging volunteer hours, helping them figure it out
- Also ask Harper about this?
- Hard Nips at Wesleyan-do we want them to come? When? Any updates about what happened last year with them?
- *any other updates?
- They are supposedly to get back to Izzy
- Show on campus?
- Board info in Studio A is outdated!
- Hanna will get that taken care of tomorrow!
Welcome, new board!
Somebody download FSRN! Maybe we should put in an alarm to remind us.
Reunion/Commencement Open House – We heard from some alums who are coming, so it’s probably in the agenda. Virgil will check up on food. 2-5 pm, Friday.
Next year, the 75th Anniversary should be an opportunity for a lot of cool archival stuff.
J & R situation – Avery and Ben are working on it.
Music Purchasing budget – definitely money for CMJ passes, and to dole out to other sub-MDs, Jesse and Adam will try to work with new music directors to figure out specifics with Ben, reach out to people in the past who had suggestions.
Summer Program – Adrien still needs to hear from a couple of people but it’s coming into place and will be done this weekend. Virgil and Ben will talk about the guide, probably a fairly simple one sided thing to mail out.
Training – people still scrambling to get service hours and testing done. Preference is to insist that trainees get all their requirements done before they take the test. Make sure newly qualified DJs get info about summer apps, so they don’t miss out. Come up with an email to send out to them with summer info, instructions for door code, spinitron.
Pledge Drive – $7602! Thanks for everyone who donated! Send your packets if you haven’t. Ben will send out a staff update to remind people that it really is on them to reach out to people they know for donations. Ben has been putting up daily facebook posts, we should all work our social media! Adam put out the Wesleying post. Still a few email campaigns to work. Service hour project: fixing up the alumni email list. Overall, new model has some pros and cons, allows the work to be spread over a couple of weeks which is nice. Ben will rethink this summer to come up with an intermediate model. Maybe start off each season with a slow pledge drive, moving into phone banks a couple of months in. Ben will be putting together a few strategic phone banks in the next couple of weeks.
Avery responded to our fan mail from Tai Pei!
Review! – We had some great events, with our lecture series and our concert series. Maybe let’s scale it back a little next year, cause that was really intense. Fewer events also means more focus ability to promote outside Wesleyan. Meet early to get public access to events. The live show was a fun idea we didn’t get to do, so hopefully next year. Avery has some contacts for lectures potentially. Potential partnership with SHOFCO recording children’s books, possible link in with Middletown Youth Radio, and other community engagement projects.
We did a lot of conferences this year. We have contacts at Barnard and SUNY New Palz. We went to IBS (run a workshop next year), Megapolis, CMJ, keep your eyes peeled for other cool events like that. Mickey and Issy got press passes for SXSW, you could do that in the future! Or we could make our own renegade press passes, says Virgil. Bring stickers.
Show Reviews next year – giving people feedback on their show.
Keep up the monthly DJ spotlight.
75th Anniversary! So much cool stuff we could do. We are still in touch with our founder, he is so old! We could a film project, all kind of stuff.
Need to be better at putting people’s individual skills to work in service hours, encourage people to think of how they personally could help.
Lee is getting started on the new shelving. He is the man.
Student Forum on radio documentaries in the fall. Students might want to take the forum, or otherwise collaborate. Possibly might be open to community volunteers also.
The Administration is interested in ways the station might tie into academics.
No Pizza. Tragic. Someone will pay.
New Shoes for Ben!! Love, the Board. The most renegade dad shoes.
Reunion/Commencement Open House – Virgil will email later today, then Avery can get back to Rob about food. Possibly it’s too late for us to get on the official list, but we have other ways of getting the message out. Friday 1 – 4.
Music Purchasing – Ben, Jesse, and Adam will figure out what has already been bought and what budget is still left to see what we can buy.
Summer Program – Adrien has adding finished Ben’s edits. Virgil can do a program guide next week.
Training – Adam sent out everyone’s board hours for administering the practical exam. Need to get trainees to sign the contract after they pass. Staple all the papers together, and put it in Adam’s box. Maybe give people 10 mins to prepare if you have the time.
If people need service hours, email Ben.
Middletown Remix festival is Saturday. Mickey can livestream parts of it. Hasn’t yet contacted the DJs on air that day about broadcasting. Andy says we can have advance copy of the remix, could broadcast that instead. They need paid staffers, if anyone is interested.
Interview Opportunities – Anyone who wants to interview some the artists should contact Andy the PR guy. Ben forwarded the email to people he thought might be interested. Volunteers can make a promo tomorrow.
Pledge Drive – $210 dollars from t-shirt sales. Pledge drive total: $5,586. We’re on the RothBlog! Also in the Middletown Patch and the Middletown Eye, also got sent to various other local news sources. Hopefully will go out to the faculty listserv. Ben made a facebook event. We should all promote it, and also keep putting out new totals.
Facebook – We merged the two pages, but WESU the person is still out there. We have more than a 1000 likes!
Put the press release on Wesleying.
Donate Now button on our Tune-In page.
Bunch of new pledge promos, Ben found some old anytime promos. We probably have enough but if you still want to make one, please do.
Email campaigns using volunteers to compile lists. Avery is on it.
Next week the new usurpers are coming.
Adam is going to work on a new test for next year.
J and R – at least 3-4 complaints this year. They are popular, but they keep saying really contentious things that upset people. They need to better preface these things as their own personal alternative views. There is a disclaimer at the beginning of the show, but they need personally to distance themselves from the station, making it clear that those are their individual views.
We also bend the rules for them to broadcast from out of town. Dave spoke to them about concerns about production values. Also relying on work from Ben to assemble their show.
Course of action – Avery and Ben will talk to them and take it from there. Email them if you have a particular concern.
M F is not in the logs, hasn’t responded to Adam’s email. Avery will find him! Let next year’s board know about his lack of standing.